Prevent Breast Cancer invites you to apply for a research grant.
We are committed to funding research into breast cancer prevention strategies, as we believe that prevention is an achievable goal for the next generation. We are happy to receive applications from research workers in the UK who require funding for research relating to:-
- Breast cancer prediction
- Breast cancer prevention
- Early diagnosis
Prevent Breast Cancer is a non-commercial partner of the NIHR.
Applicants are required to complete a Prevent Breast Cancer Grant Application Form (either the word doc or the form at the bottom of this page). Please see “Related Documents” on the right to download the form along with the Terms and Conditions of Grants.
- Our Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) will be sent the application to assess the scientific value and suitability for funding. Applications which do not address our criteria of prediction, prevention or early detection will not be considered and the SAB will make a decision regarding eligibility of each application.
- We have adopted a rigorous system to review applications. Once received, each application is sent to three experts (independent to the research) who complete a review form and give a final summary score. A project has to be achievable and the reviewer has to quantify why a project is recommended. For requests over £30,000, two of the three reviewers must be external to the organisation.
- The reviews are then presented to the Board of Trustees who will then make a decision. If the Chair or any other SAB member has a conflict of interest on a particular application, they will not be involved with the discussion and the decision-making process.
- Funding requests for consumables or equipment under £10,000, which contribute to an existing research study and have already been peer reviewed by the main funder, will not be sent for further review. A decision about whether to fund these requests will be made by the Board of Trustees.
- Our Scientific Advisory Board is Chaired by Clinician Scientist In Surgical Oncology and Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon, Cliona Kirwan with support from Consultant Onco-plastic Breast Surgeon, James Harvey. For more information about our team click here.
Please note, we do not fund animal experiments.